Commercial Truck Accident Lawyers in Dothan, AL Fight for Injured Clients
Diligent and concerned legal representation focused on results
In the Dothan area, traffic accidents are a constant concern, especially along busy routes such as US 231, US 431, and US 84. But the danger of serious injury is much greater when the other vehicle is a large commercial truck. An 18-wheeler can easily crush a passenger car, causing catastrophic harm or wrongful death. If you or a loved one has sustained serious injury in a semi-truck crash, our legal team at Carey & Hamner, P.C. is here to help. When you retain our services, you get a highly skilled Dothan truck accident attorney supported by the resources of an established and successful law firm. For nearly two decades, our firm has delivered strong results for injured clients. You can trust us to work tirelessly to obtain justice for you.
Common types of commercial truck accidents
Because commercial trucks are larger, heavier and less maneuverable than passenger cars, they have greater potential to cause severe harm when something goes wrong. Common accidents involving tractor trailers include:
- Side-swipes — Because the truck’s body is so long, its blind spot is vast. A trucker making a lane change can easily fail to spot a smaller vehicle, causing collision on its flank.
- Jack-knifes — Sudden braking can cause a trailer to swing out across adjacent lanes, smashing anything in its path.
- Rear-end collisions — Trucks take a greater distance to stop. If a trucker fails to observe a car braking in front of him, there may not be sufficient stopping distance to avoid a crash.
- Rollovers — Poorly loaded cargo, high winds and sharp turns can cause a trailer to tip and roll onto its side, crushing other vehicles and creating a road obstruction.
The cause of a big-rig crash often requires expert investigation. Our firm contracts with qualified accident reconstruction experts to evaluate the cause and determine who was at fault.
Who might be liable for a commercial truck accident?
Besides the truck driver, other parties may be legally responsible for compensating victims of a truck accident. Defendants in a personal injury case can include:
- Drivers — Driver error is a leading cause of truck accidents. Driver fatigue is also common, as too many drivers exceed the number of hours they can safely spend behind the wheel.
- Trucking companies — Companies are liable for the negligent acts of their drivers. Pressure by employers to complete deliveries quickly can lead drivers into violating safety regulations. A trucking company may have allowed equipment that has failed safety inspections to go back on the road without repair.
- Equipment manufacturers — If defective equipment, such as brakes or tires, caused the accident, the companies who make those parts can be held liable.
- Cargo companies — Tractor trailers may be loaded by separate companies, who could be liable if overloading or improper loading of cargo affect the vehicle’s operation.
- Other drivers — A passenger car driver who executes an unsafe maneuver near a semi-truck can set off a chain reaction leading to a deadly truck accident.
Our legal team thoroughly investigates each trucking accident. We subpoena company records to see if there were any violations and we interview witnesses to get all information possible about the crash. We also consult medical experts to gauge the severity of your injuries and your prognosis for recovery. All of these actions help us to deliver the best possible results to our clients.
Contact a reputable personal injury attorney in Dothan for your trucking accident
The legal team at Carey & Hamner, P.C. in Dothan represents people injured commercial truck accidents throughout Alabama. Our office is conveniently located at 102 South Orange Avenue in Dothan, just off of West Main Street. Call 855-435-4797 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.