Alabama Injury Attorneys Explain the Causes and Effects of Car Crashes
Explaining why accidents happen and what injuries accident victims suffer
Car crashes happen all too frequently in Alabama, and the resulting injuries can have lasting physical, emotional and financial effects. In 2016, a person was injured in our state in a traffic crash every 11 minutes and 2 seconds, according to Drive Safe Alabama. From our Dothan office, Carey & Hamner, P.C. helps victims of car accidents get the money they need to get back on their feet. We’ve represented accident victims for more than two decades, seeking the full compensation they deserve, so we know how accidents happen and what injuries victims may suffer. That knowledge helps us to seek damages that fully account for our clients’ losses.
Common causes of car accidents in Alabama and across the country
Car accidents can happen on any road, anywhere, and for almost any reason, but these are among the most common causes:
- Distracted driving — A texting driver is 23 times more likely to get into a crash than a non-texting driver. But equally dangerous driving behaviors are making phone calls, eating, grooming, reading, using GPS, and adjusting music.
- Speeding — Nearly 31 percent of fatal crashes in Alabama in 2016 were caused by speeding.
- Drunk/drugged driving — Driving under the influence caused nearly 25 percent of fatal crashes in Alabama in 2016.
- Reckless/careless driving — Failing to yield the right of way, making an improper lane change and running off the road caused a combined 44 percent of fatal accidents in Alabama in 2016.
- Weather — Approximately 22 percent of vehicle accidents in the United States are caused by rain, snow, fog, wind and temperatures, according to the Federal Highway Administration.
- Design/manufacturing defects — Millions of vehicles are recalled each year to repair defects, including many that put motorists’ safety at risk. Not every vehicle defect is captured by a recall, and defects cause serious injuries and death when they lead to accidents.
No matter which of these led to your accident, we are fully prepared to help. We have more than 20 years of combined experienced in all types of auto accidents. Clients trust us to get to the bottom of every case and bring them the justice they need for others’ negligence.
Injuries suffered in car accidents
Car accidents can cause a wide variety of injuries, from minor bruises to serious, life-changing trauma. Common injuries suffered by accident victims include:
- Broken bones
- Cuts and lacerations
- Head, neck, and spinal injuries
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Paralysis and nerve damage
You can do your part to help prevent injuries in an auto accident by wearing your seat belt and instructing your passengers to do the same. Nearly 60 percent of people who died in car crashes in Alabama in 2016 were not wearing seat belts.
If you were injured by someone else’s negligence in an auto accident, it is critical that you know what to do after the accident. Seek immediate medical attention and then contact us as soon as possible so we can preserve evidence and gather witness statements to bolster your injury claim.
Contact compassionate auto accident attorneys in Dothan
Located across Main Street from the First United Methodist Church in Dothan, Carey & Hamner, P.C. serves victims of car accidents across southeastern Alabama, including in Enterprise, Ozark and Troy. If you need help, call our lawyers in Dothan at 855-435-4797 or contact us online today to set up a free consultation about your injury.