Experienced Dothan Forklift Accident Attorneys Pursue Compensation
Forklift accidents are common in Alabama
Forklift accidents happen more often than many people realize. Even a slight mishandling of this piece of heavy machinery can cause a fatal or catastrophic injury. At Carey & Hamner, P.C., our Dothan forklift accident attorneys help injured Alabama clients pursue compensation for medical bills, lost income and other accident-related harm. We also represent the loved ones of individuals killed in fatal forklift accidents. Our personal injury litigators work to hold parties accountable for their negligence on industrial sites in Dothan and the surrounding areas.
Common types of forklift accidents
Uneven weight distribution, rear-only turning and front-only brakes make a fork truck particularly accident-prone. Common types of forklift accidents include:
- Rollovers — A person struck or trapped by a forklift rollover will likely face severe crushing injuries or death. A rollover may happen when a wheel hits an unstable surface, the carriage is overloaded or the driver travels at an excessive speed.
- Runovers — There have been numerous incidents of workers being accidentally run over by five-ton forklifts. Foot injuries are common, and people have lost their lives.
- Collisions — Forklift drivers have to navigate major blind spots. A driver who is not given sufficient guidance or who is inexperienced may strike another person or object.
- Falling loads — Materials loaded onto a forklift can cause significant harm when they fall from elevated heights.
Our attorneys assist people injured in construction accidents, manufacturing accidents and warehouse accidents involving forklifts.
Injuries that frequently result from a forklift accident
Common types of injuries sustained from forklift accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Skull fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Wrongful death
A forklift injury may require extensive recovery time, during which a worker cannot earn their regular income. After an accident, it is wise to consult a lawyer. We can explore your options for holding at-fault parties accountable for their negligence.
How forklift accidents can be avoided
Organizations that use forklifts must take certain precautions to create a safe environment for workers, customers and other visitors. Steps an employer should take to avoid forklift accidents include:
- Properly train all individuals authorized to operate the forklift
- Do not allow untrained individuals to operate a forklift
- Stop unsafe forklift drivers from operating the machine
- Create clear pathways for the forklift to travel
- Restrict customers and pedestrians from areas where forklifts are operated
- Service and maintain the forklift
An organization that fails to uphold its duty of care can be found negligent in court if this failure resulted in injury or death. We can review the details of an accident to determine how negligence may have caused the problem.
Ways to recover compensation after a forklift accident in Dothan
If you are hurt in a forklift accident while performing work duties, you may seek reimbursement for medical expenses and some of your lost income by filing a workers’ compensation claim.
If you were not working when the accident occurred, or if you were working and the accident was caused by a negligent third party (not your employer or someone working for your employer), you may have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit. A negligent third party may be held liable for the full amount of your lost income, your pain and suffering and other accident-related harm. Our firm’s Dothan workers’ compensation attorneys and personal injury attorneys will evaluate the events leading up to the accident and explain which legal actions make sense for your case.
Contact a dedicated Dothan forklift injury attorneys to set up your free consultation
The determined legal team at Carey & Hamner, P.C. in Dothan, Alabama pursues injury compensation for clients hurt in forklift accidents. To schedule a free initial consultation, call 855-435-4797 or contact us online.